What to Do When Glass Breaks
Sep 19, 2016, 07:35 AM
Discount Auto Glass
Have you ever had your shower glass (or other home glass) crack or break and wonder to yourself what to do next? Well, Discount Auto Glass is here to answer that question. What you do next is call us as soon as possible. Our team of well-trained professionals can come out to your home to give an estimate and replace your shower glass or one of the many other types of glass that can be found in your home.
If glass in your home breaks it can be very dangerous to you and your family. Here are a few for how to properly clean up and preserve your glass until our team of professionals can get there to help you.
- Protect yourself first. Put on closed toed shoes and gloves if you have them.
- Very carefully pick up the large pieces of glass and dispose of them. It’s a good idea to wrap them in a thick paper product like newspaper or double wrapping it in a separate trash bag to keep the glass from ripping the garbage bag. You’ll want to dispose of the trash in your outdoor garbage bin as soon as possible.
- Make sure the shards of glass are cleaned up. This task can be a bit trickier. There are a few different ways this can be achieved. One is by folding a paper towel and dampening it before patting it into the shards. Another way is by picking a wide tape, like packing or masking tape, and pressing it into the shards to pick them up.
- Vacuum the area and surrounding area where the glass broke. Vacuuming several times is a good idea to make sure all of the shards are collected.
- Check the surrounding areas where there glass broke. This means checking bedding, pillows, and clothing, among other items that may be near the breaking point. If you find glass here, take appropriate measures to clean it up.
- Secure the area of the broken glass, especially if it is unstable or has sharp edges showing. Make sure everyone in your household is aware of the incident and knows the careful precautions to take around the area. If the broken area is a window, a safe thing to do is to put plywood in your window with the glass to the outside of the home. This will protect your home from the elements until one of our professionals can get there.
Taking these precautions when glass in your home breaks can help ensure the safety of your family and pets until a trusted Discount Auto Glass professional can get to your home to assess and fix the damage. The best part about having one of our professionals come out to your home is that we do not charge anything extra for the visit. We have eight locations around Arkansas, including Springdale and Texarkana, and one in Joplin, Missouri for your convenience. Give us a call at (501) 377-9575 or use our online form to get a quote today!