The coldest time of the year is here, and with it comes the possibility of ice and snow! If you find yourself driving on icy roads, there are several things you can do to help ensure the safety of you and your passengers. Don’t get into a wreck that could have been avoided! We’ve put together a short list of tips for driving in icy conditions:
1. Slow Down - Reducing your speed is necessary when driving on ice, even if you’re on the interstate. You should also apply the gas slowly to avoid skids.
2. Stay Back - Don’t follow the vehicle in front of you too closely. You should put even more space than you normally would between your vehicle and other vehicles on the road. Shoot for keeping a distance of three car lengths between you and the person in front of you.
3. Turn Into Slides - If you find yourself sliding, turn your wheels in the direction that the back of your vehicle is sliding. Look at where you want to go, and steer in that direction.
4. Don’t Slam Your Brakes - Doing so may cause your wheels to lock up on icy roads.
5. Keep Your Headlights On - This will help other drivers see you, even during the day.
6. Avoid Dangerous Areas - If you know that you’re headed towards a large hill or bridge, take another route if possible.
7. Check the Weather - Know what to expect before you hit the road, whether you’re heading to work for the day or setting out on a long road trip.
8. Wear a Seatbelt - You should always wear your seatbelt, but definitely don’t skip out on doing so if there’s ice on the road.
Are you in need of auto glass or residential glass? Contact us today to speak to one of our professionals. And remember...we come to you for windshield replacement! If you’re looking for a free quote, fill out this short form and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible.